9 days wonder...

Today's cooling day, a day intended for some soul-searching reflection in the sweltering heat. What irony. Yet, all I can think about is "No more rallies?!?” It has been a circus of activity for these nine days – I’ve made friends with strangers, ‘Like’ more items in Fb and read more news than I would have in any 5 years put together.

Since when have I been interested in politics? Never.

I’ve always been told whilst growing up that Singaporeans are politically apathetic. If you had asked me on The Noose aka We Are Singaporeans “Who is the Minister of Education?” I would have gone, “Er… The Indian man, or is it the Chinese man now*?... Er..” .

Chop - FAIL. (Tharman Shanmugaratnam was then Minister of Education, and is now the Minister for Finance. Dr NG Eng Hen is the current Minister of Education.)

But now, if you ask me “Who is the Minister of MCYS?” I can confidently give you the answer with titbits thrown in. “Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, the minister who busted the $100 million budget by over three times.”

Chop - PASS Beams =D

What has happened to me? To us?

Election. Not any election, but an election that allows us to vote. In my years of growing up, I’ve never thought I would see the day that I could draw this all important X. I’d accepted unconditionally that I would see more walkovers than I would see my ministers. Come election time, you will see the eyes of coffee shops uncles and aunties glaze over with a walkover or an almost-confirmed win by the PAP. Has that made us indifferent to politics and unconcerned about our governance? Probably. It was not as if we had much of a choice.

But no complains here. PAP has been doing a fantastic job. Without their foresight and adaptability, we would not have gotten to where we are. We rose from a country with nothing but people, to one of the brightest developed country in Southeast Asia within a short span of 46 years. Many thought we couldn’t make it -- without oil fields, water sources, gold mines… and we have so many mouths to feed. But we did. My hats off to our leaders for bringing us to where we are; they have done a truly admirable job. Thank you.

But then.. When I saw the massive turnout picture of Worker’s Party first rally, my jaw dropped, and I wanted to join the crowd euphoria the next evening. What a huge change! Usually, when you see opposition parties giving out flyers on the streets, people avoided them like plague. But that has changed. Why the surge in opposition? Why the overwhelming turnout for opposition rallies?

People. 人情。I still remember, standing as a child amongst the captivated crowd with my eyes fixated at a raised wooden stage. Wayang aka Chinese Opera was the source of burning light in the already darkened night. I couldn’t understand what was sung by singers in elaborate costumes and face paints, but the communal spirit of shared entertainment with my parents and neighbours heightened this little child’s experience.

If a fledging adult could miss this experience as a child, what’s about uncles and aunties who grew up gathering around wayang stages, who brought their own stool to watch open air movies, who gathered around one shared TV in a kampong? We miss Us. We miss the Us with one common goal, one common entertainment, one common voice.

As our nation grows, we were forced to pit against each other: Meritocracy, Materialism, MoneyNoEnough. It was a necessity for us to excel against our counterparts in the world. We created our own monster: We are our own enemies. Children compete for better results, better schools, better rewards. Adults compete for better jobs, better pays, better cars, better houses. The list is endless. When was the last time we had such a huge gathering? It was probably not at an opposition rally, but for the queue for Hello Kitty, free goodie bags, and iPhones.

Even nation building events like National Day parade has turned into a circus of queuing / balloting for tickets. The run-of-the-mill National Day parade has no longer served any purpose except for an elaborate showcase of perfection. I miss those days of hanging the national flag come August and pointing excitedly when another neighbour does the same. To see our own flags waving in the breeze was so participatory. Now? The GRCs hangs out the new flags in creative, mechanical style. I feel more Singaporean in these nine days than I’ve in a very long time.

I don’t know about you. But I am freaking tired of all these competition crap. Everyday (weekends included), I must fight my way into the MRT trains. I bull-dog eye the stranger next to me, and use my KickS bag to nudge my way into the train. Forgive me when I’m not at my best in the mornings. How can I be, when I am plastered to people who are stealing my oxygen?

I feel more Singaporean in these nine days than I’ve in a very long time. These nine days, everyone has become friends again =) On the walk to the rallies, everyone was gracious, friendly and excited. But we don’t fight for space to watch the rallies, we stand in our chosen spot and listen to the passionate speeches that speaks from our heart. It is the connectedness that brought us together as we listen, rallied along with the euphoria and recite our national pledge. Our people came together to celebrate being Singaporeans in unique marketing fashions, photoshop skills, and video editorial skills. I love it!

This is probably one of the rare time in the modern era where the words of our Pledge comes to life. We are given meaning to life. We are one big family coming together to one shared dream, one shared goal: for a better tomorrow. And we are no longer silent, petulant children who have to stomach our angst in our struggles against life. We have found our voice again. If for anything, the opposition has given us back our voice at the expense of burning a 16K hole in their pockets. This by itself should be applauded. Thank you.

In my years of doing algebra, the little X has never been more hotly contested. They say this is a watershed election for an era of change. Watershed all right– apologetic floods, passionate tears, pouring rain, brolly creative marketing and mud-soaked rallies… ah.. the fun we had. I hope this united, camaraderie for fellow Singaporeans remains as we work towards a brighter future with smiles together.

It had been a clean, good contest held by passionate and honourable parties. PAP that is resourcesful, adaptable and has learnt to listen. Opposition that has had their ears to our heart. We are charmed citizens. Here’s to a Singaporean Singapore tomorrow.

Peace out =)







Comments

Popular Posts