Old Street Ba Kut Teh @Westgate

Located in front of an escalator at Westgate's Basement 1. It is very crowded during weekends and lunch hour, so we popped by to see what the fuss is all about.

Hailing from 2 & 4 Gemmill Lane, this franchise of our local favourite Ba Kut Teh (pork rib soup) has been making waves in shopping malls. 


We live in modern technological times, so you order your food through the iPad provided under the table. Cutlery can also be found in the drawers under the table. 

Now, what is so special about Old Street Ba Kut Teh is the Dry Ba Kut Teh ($9.10 small, without rice). Cooked in a dark soya sauce, the pork ribs is stirred in together with lady fingers and finely sliced ginger. My mum declared it to be delicious, albeit a little salty, so goes best with plain rice. If you order if as it is, they will provide a small bowl of soup to go along.

For me, I'm a soup person. Give me a bowl of hot, piping soup, and I'm a happy camper. The thickness of the broth of the Pork Rib Soup ($7.80 small, without rice) makes me want more and more. And the good news is that (given the small size of the bowl), you can always ask for more soup. Gimme more! Refills please! The soup has a nice balance of pepper spice and flavorsome pork that flows smoothly into my palate. The meat from the pork rib is tender; dip it into the various types of sauces available and you'll get a different taste each time.

Try dipping You Tiao ($2, Fried dough stick) into the soup and let it soak up some of the juice. When you bite into it, the soup explode with happiness in your mouth.



Since it was my birthday, Mum packed in 2 extra hard-boiled eggs for me! Cos, it's our tradition to eat 2 eggs with mee sua for our birthday. 
Can you see my happy grinning face when she whipped out the surprise for me?
She's such a sweetheart! Love!


Old Street Ba Kut Teh
Westgate
3 Gateway Drive
#B1-25
Singapore 608532

Nearest MRT: Jurong East MRT (East-West Line)

Food: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I want my soup!
Service:PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
Busy busy. We'd to wait for soup refills..
Ambience:PhotobucketPhotobucket
Good for a quick run!

Would I go back again? YES! But not too often.
Value-wise, price is on the high side for a hawker favourite. 

Cost: 12++ 

Menu: http://oldstreet.com.sg/

Comments

Popular Posts