Red Baron Cafe @Gillman Barracks Review

Located at one edge of the Gillman Barracks, you probably won't notice Red Baron until you've a reason to visit Gillman Barrack. 

Why the interesting name of Gillman Barracks? It is actually a collective of conserved colonial barracks, and now houses many contemporary art galleries. Which makes for a very arty day of exploring the various art exhibitions and activities available (https://www.gillmanbarracks.com/)


The nearest MRT is Labrador Park. To access Gillman Barracks from the main road (Alexandra Road), locate this long, long walkway behind a bus stop.



Once you reach the end of the walkway, you'll find Red Baron!


I really love the very relaxing vibe of this small little enclave. And here's what we ordered.





Eggplant Sabich

Open-faced multigrain toast, housemade tahini, eggplant, minted arabic salad, poached egg and Dukkah spice



Sabich is an Israeli sandwich, made up of pita stuffed with fried eggplant and hard boiled eggs. Here, we have the pita substituted with well-toasted bread. And the eggplant didn't taste like eggplant, so its a pretty interesting dish. The poached egg was a nice touch as it gave the dry And the dish a more rounded taste.







Quinoa Goreng
Quinoa, Prawns, Chicken, Ikan Bilis, topped with a sunny-side up egg


Next up is my favourite! Quinoa Goreng!



Quinoa is a gluten-free source of protein, iron and fibre. It's highly nutritious value has seen its increasing popularity as become more healthy conscious. I was introduced to quinoa by my dear teacher who sweetly gave me a bag of quinoa to cook. But of course, since my kitchen skills are a pretty much non-existence, the quinoa I cooked was an acquired taste I didn't quite acquire on our first meeting.



But this Quinoa Goreng blew our socks off! It's very hard to impress my food buddy (who only has a thing for Chicken Rice), and she gave it a thumbs up! Whoa!



'Goreng' comes is a Malay word that means fried. Mee Goreng, for example is a spicy fried noodle dish that has it's origins in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Now, this Quinoa Goreng is just nicely spicy (I'm not too big on spice myself), and the spice adds an edgy taste that makes you reaching for more. The quinoa is cooked just right and seasoned sweet, sour and spicy. 

Here's my drink. Interesting name, nice for a one try.



Red Baron

45 Malan Rd

Singapore 109455

Telephone: 6334 6734

Nearest MRT: Labrador MRT (Circle Line)


Food: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Service:PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

Staff is friendly.

Ambience:PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
Very good place for chillaxing!

Would I go back again? YES! 
I like how the dishes are fusioned to include the Asian element. I want to be surprised again!

Cost: 15++ 


Comments

Popular Posts